Three Green Key Certified: The Program is a graduated rating system designed to recognize hotels, motels and resorts that are committed to improving their environmental performance.
The Carlton Hotel has been accepted as a Bronze level GreenLeader into the new TripAdvisor® GreenLeadersTM program, which helps travelers plan greener trips by identifying environmentally-friendly accommodations across the U.S.
TripAdvisor GreenLeaders have met a set of environmental standards developed for TripAdvisor by a leading environmental consulting firm, with input from expert partners. The more green practices a hotel has in place, the higher its GreenLeader level, which is shown on the property's listing on the TripAdvisor site.
Over the last year, The Carlton undertook the challaenge to conserve water with the goal of reducing our total consumption by 5 percent. On October 9, 2014 we were awarded by Department of Environmental Protection with achieving this target. Only 3 other hotels in NYC were honored for this achievement.
As part of the challenge, each participating hotel had to reduce their annual water consumption by 5 percent and thereby save a total of approximately 13 million gallons of water each year.
The water conservation challenge is one part of New York City's Water for the Future Program that will help to ensure clean, reliable, and safe drinking water for nine million New Yorkers for decades to come. The central part of the Program is repairing the Delaware Aqueduct, which supplies roughly half of the city's daily drinking water needs.
"The Carlton is proud to have been an active participant in the NYC Water challenge and thrilled that we were able to save to our targeted goal. We will continue to apply the lessons learned in this valuable initiative and promote awareness to our guests and our associates," said Vic Freeman, General Manager of the Carlton Hotel.
We reduce waste and save lives, one bar of soap at a time. We send partially-used and discarded soap from rooms and send it to GSP, recycling it into millions of new bars, and distribute the new soap to people who lack access to it around the world.
To-date, they've distributed more than one million new bars of soap through relief efforts and hygiene education programs in 30 countries on four continents. Their goal is to ensure that once people receive soap, they have access to it for the rest of their lives. This means helping them understand how to use it, why to use it, and why it is worth acquiring from local sources long-term. In other words, create an immediate positive health impact that can be sustained for the rest of their lives while supporting local economies, and without creating dependence on free soap.
We at the Carlton Hotel believe that our impact on our community should be a positive one. We have committed to implementing Environmentally-Friendly initiatives on a consistent basis. Change begins with the first step. Please see the progress we've made so far:
Rooms and Public Spaces:
• 100% of our property's lighting is energy efficient, only using LED & florescent lighting
• Smart thermostats in guestrooms that turn off climate control in unoccupied rooms
• 1.6 gallon toilets in guestrooms
• Towel/linen re-use program in place in guest rooms
• Dyson Hand dryers installed in the public restrooms to eliminate paper towels
• Eco-friendly cleaning supplies are used throughout the hotel
• EcoLogo Certified & Green Seal Certified paper products are used in all guest rooms and administrative area in the hotel
• All guest room TVs are Energy Star rated
• Guest Amenities use environmentally friendly ingredients and recyclable packaging.
• Front desk provides walking maps and suggest guest walk or use public transportation
• Meeting rooms have dimmers on lights and windows for natural light
• Meeting space uses reusable glass drinking glasses and bottles
• All conference news can be broadcast on the in-room TV channel instead of printed and distributed
• At the close of a meeting, the property is willing to distribute meeting materials and samples products left behind to a local charity that can put them to good use
• All waste is recycled
Back of House:
• Green Key & Green Hotels Global Certified
• Cogen Generator creates cleaner electricity from natural gas, a more efficient energy source. Reduces load off the city's antiquated grid
• Formation of a Green Committee to be responsible for developing an Environmental Plan for energy, water and solid waste
• Green initiatives are implemented to encourage and educate staff about eco-friendly living
• Soap recycling program is in place. The program donates to 28 developing countries around the world and in the US
• Hotel provides bicycle storage for employees and guests
• Only Recycled paper is used in office activities.
• Paper reduction is strongly encouraged
• Copier default is set to double sided copies
• Office staff purchases recycled printer cartridges. Used Printer cartridges are returned to an eco-friendly vendor.
• Participates in local charity coat drives
• Participates in the "New York City Hotel Water Conservation Challenge".
• Participates in two city-run energy conservation programs specifically in high-electrical demand periods that reduce the occurrence of blackouts and the construction of additional power plants
• Uses outside vendor that sorts recyclable material